The fruit for the Hedonist Sangiovese is sourced from the Willunga foothills of McLaren Vale. The idyllic St Vincent’s Gulf lies 5km to the West. The soil is rich loam over clay with patches of underlying limestone, giving the wine a rich and fullness of pallet.
McLaren Vale experienced a slightly dryer than average winter and spring in 2015. A mild November ensured the vines set well, ultimately producing some of the biggest crops in recent times. December was hot and dry. We were grateful to receive significant rain in late January to early February, as it relieved the strain on the vines. The grapes didn’t need to reach ripe sugar levels for them to have good fruit characters - they are lively, bright, and elegant. The mild weather during the final ripening period provided ideal conditions for full flavour development, while retaining natural acidity. The vines were well balanced with great colour and flavour. Our wines from the 2016 vintage exhibit a purity of fruit flavours with lovely perfume and finesse.
Harvested as a single batch. Crushed and de-stemmed, followed by twice daily pumpovers for 8 days, then one pumpover per day to wet the cap until pressing 30 days later. The additional time on skins allows the softening and integration of tannins. Malolactic fermentation took place in seasoned oak and stainless steel tanks. We blended around 6% Cabernet to add a bit more structure and add length to the palate.
- Deep ruby red with purple hues
- Raspberries, cherries and subtle notes of leather, charcuterie and white pepper spice
- Firm tannin structure gives length while the rich texture creates a bright and opulent mouth feel. Bright red berries and cherries dominate, with just a touch white pepper.
- Sangiovese 94%, Cabernet 6%
- 2-3 tonne/acre
- OAK TREATMENT
- 70 % seasoned French oak for 12 months - hogs head (300L barrels), 30% stainless steel maturation
- Alc: 13.5%, pH: 3.66, TA: 6.1g/L, GF: 0.1g/L
- 9 August 2017