The fruit for the Hedonist Cabernet is grown biodynamically on our own vineyard situated in the Willunga foothills, McLaren Vale. Warm Summer days are cooled by evening sea breezes from St Vincent’s Gulf, which lies a close proximity to the West. The soil is rich loam over clay with patches of underlying limestone, giving the wine a rich and fullness of pallet.
A wet winter and spring set the vines up well for the season ahead. While there was some summer rain early on, disease pressure remained low. Flowering was late, but it didn’t lead to a later than usual harvest. Conditions were ideal for concentrated flavour development and acid retention.
Harvested in two batches on the 29th February & 5th March, the parcels were fermented separately – for 8 days and 27 days respectively. Once malolactic fermentation was completed in stainless steel tanks, the batches were racked into 15% new French Oak; 85% 3-4 year old French Oak for 18 months for maturation.
- Deep ruby red
- Blackcurrant, a touch of tomato vine and a tantalising hint of black truffle.
- An abundance of blackcurrant carries through to the palate, some earthy tones and tight tannins wrap this little package up nicely.
- AGE OF VINES
- 20 years
- HARVEST DATE
- 29 February & 5 March 2016
- OAK TREATMENT
- 15% new French Oak, 85% 3-4 year old French Oak for 18 months
- Alc: 13.5%, pH: 3.59, TA: 6.66g/L, GF: 0.8g/L
- BOTTLING DATE
- 21 November 2017